Thursday, August 23, 2012

Happy Feet

So......I have "pigeon toes."  My feet have always kind of curved inward.  Running has further defined this natural shape of my feet - my pinky toes look like they are going to forever merge with my fourth toes.  When I was running 10+ miles per week this past spring,  I developed a little corn-like thing on the underside of my fourth toes where that pinky toe was rubbing against it.  Not fun.

This week I have taken back to the pavement.  I have two pairs of shoes:  my old sauconys that I trained in Jan-March.  Then I went to a specialty store, had them analyze my gait/feet and ended up with some $165 brooks shoes with inserts.  I over-pronate and my arch is somewhat flat.  I could never love the Brooks though for some reason.  So this time I have gone back to my sauconys although I did get a new pair in the same model.

I don't know if it is the shoes - maybe the sauconys don't offer enough support.  maybe it is because i took about three months off of running.  maybe it's because my feet are shaped all wonky.  but my biggest obstacle to getting back to running is my darn feet.  they burn.  my heels hurt, my ankles hurt.  I try to pay attention to my strike, to my posture, etc to see if I can adjust myself and make them not hurt. But they do.  Badly.

Tonight I ran 4 miles in about 52 minutes.  24 minutes of that were the walking breaks to ease the foot pain.  Cardiovascular-wise I could run faster and farther than I have been able to.  I don't have to stop and walk because I am out of breath or winded, but because it feels like I am running through burning coals.   I am hoping and praying that my feet get in the game.  I want to see more of this in the mirror:

In the dance studio waiting for the girls after my run.





No comments:

Post a Comment