Monday, August 20, 2012

Ankles

So today was my second "run" in three days after taking a LONG break (maybe 6-8 weeks since I ran). During that break I didn't do so well with food. I haven't weighed at home, but according to the scale at the dr. last week I am up about 20 pounds since early May.

Sigh.

 I am so tired of this battle. I completely understand how people get to be really overweight. It is a daily choice and when faced with life and job stress and depression and whiny kids and financial stress and a messy house and grocery shopping and sports practices and church and the list goes on and on...it's so easy to slip into bad habits. I am thankful that I am still about 20 pounds lighter than my highest-ever weight. I am thankful that I have renewed enthusiasm to pick up my weapon and fight again.

 Two observations about running:
 1) One of the reasons I quit running was the humidity. I live in the South and I found it super hard to run in the humidity. I am so thankful for a break from the heat and humidity. It's still hot, but the air isn't as thick.
 2) The hardest part about running for me after a hiatus or when upping the distance is the pain in my ankles. It doesn't feel like an injury, just soreness. I am used to soreness AFTER exercise, but this is pain during exercise. I remember this past Spring when I was really building my endurance how the pain in my legs slowly transitioned to this unbelievable feeling of strength while running. I cannot wait for that transition to happen again this time.

 Saturday I did 4-5 miles and probably ran about 1.5 - 2 miles of that. My overall pace was about at a 14.5 minutes/mile.

 Today I didn't have as much time and did about 2.5 miles. I think I ran about 1.5 of that for a pace of 14 minutes/mile. It already felt better!

 Once again I find myself thinking of goal-setting and digging in for the fight. I am going to try a different approach this time. I am still formulating my plan, but I hope it is one that can finally result in success and true change from the inside-out.

No comments:

Post a Comment