Thursday, March 5, 2009

Alexis de Tocqueville

Here is a link to a Weekly Standard  published excerpt from Democracy in America.  It was in this week's issue, and, yes, we subscribe to this magazine.  LOVE IT.  Anyway, my husband has read the book from cover-to-cover; I tried and couldn't make it through.  Even this short excerpt required more concentration than I have to give right now, however it was eerie to read in some ways.

Sharing my opinion about touchy subjects has always been a strange thing for me.  When I was in high school I was way too outspoken, to the err of obnoxiousness.  I went through a period after college where I was pretty much indifferent to any given cause so I didn't really have anything to say.  Now I'm definitely more opinionated and learning to share my thoughts effectively and graciously (except, maybe, for my post about Anne Hathaway -- when it comes to celebrities I have a hard time being gracious for some reason).  

I am unhappy about the direction we are headed under this leadership.  I do not wish to be in competition for medical treatment under a government-run health care system.  I do not believe the government manages anything very well, and therefore should be left to govern the people, who can more effectively manage when unyoked.  I want to serve the poor of our country through my church, giving them hope instead of a handout.  I want them enabled and inspired to take advantage of their freedom instead of see them choose bondage in order to be fed.  I hate to see people lose their jobs, but people are resilient.  A free market economy which is stifled is not able to flourish.

I am not a crazy, Obama-hating, closed-minded person.  I am a mom who drives a minivan who simply believes in the ideals this country was founded on.   In a few short weeks I see those ideals being thrown under the bus -- all in the name of "change we can believe in."  Ugh, those words turn my stomach.  I just pray each day that eyes are opened to the importance of freedom.  

 I am thankful that my God is bigger than any government ever could be.  Thankfully, I am in His service and have nothing to fear.  It was a good day when I realized that being a Christian comes before being patriotic.  

No comments:

Post a Comment