Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The way we were. . .

I wonder if I will always have this feeling of wishing we could turn back the clock. I find myself wishing for the time BEFORE J quit his job – when things were tight financially but not in crisis mode as they are now.

I wish often for the time BEFORE our flower’s kidney disease diagnosis this past November. The time was so easy when we thought those doctors had been wrong when I was pregnant.

I wish for the time when I was a stay-at-home mom, when I cooked delicious homemade meals, took care of my son’s homework, when my biggest complaint was being frazzled at the end of the day.

I even dare to wish that I could go back to 2004 and shake myself when I convinced J that we needed to buy the house. I would tell myself what it means to have that much money in a savings account, and I would convince myself to be wiser.

Today during a talent show at school, a couple of teachers sang “The Way We Were.” I could barely make it to the end of the song before breaking down completely – I had to leave the show. I long in my soul for who we were, even just last summer before that fateful day in August when J. left his job.

I know things could be so much worse and we have plenty to be thankful for. I just don’t know who I am in this new set of circumstances. I started writing the “Drawing Near” series because I thought I be able to put my focus into a more intimate walk with the Lord during this valley. It seems that so far, I haven’t been able to do that. I am not sure what is keeping me from drawing near to Him – pride? feeling as if I deserve this? -- but I haven’t found a way to put Him in the forefront of my heart and mind.

So many things are distracting me: jobs, children, medical issues, the move, decisions about the immediate and distant future, wishing for a small vacation this summer. . . I sincerely need to get my focus back on the state of my heart. Pray for me if you read this blog.

1 comment:

  1. My heart has been burdened for you guys. I'm praying that the days when you feel farther from our Lord are the days He's right by your side. There are so many questions as to the way things go sometimes, but I know He has you in the palm of His hands even when it feels like more of a major grip! I've never seen J so down as I did the other night. I'm burdened for him a lot right now too. I often wish things were the way there were for you too - I have fond memories of those days too!

    ReplyDelete