Saturday, September 10, 2011

Slowing Down

Over the past 3-4 months, I have been privileged to form a relationship with a Christian counselor. After my surrender in May to my depression, I knew that medication wasn't the only thing I needed. I sought a counselor with a Christian worldview so that scripture and prayer could be a part of my journey.

She has been a huge blessing in my life. Yesterday marked my final "regular" session. I have scheduled a session one month from now to check in (because I am aware that I don't want to be complacent about my recovery), but we were both rejoicing yesterday in just how far I have come.

One of the most poignant things that she said to me was a commentary on this popular passage in Jeremiah, Chapter 29:

10 This is what the LORD says: “When seventy years are completed for Babylon, I will come to you and fulfill my good promise to bring you back to this place. 11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. 14 I will be found by you,” declares the LORD, “and will bring you back from captivity. I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you,” declares the LORD, “and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile.”

She discussed how depression represents my captivity, and that, while the Lord has brought me out of captivity - He reserves a spot in the future where he will bring me back to that place again - not necessarily back to be depressed again, but back such that I can see where I was and it won't hurt anymore.

God is with us in the pit. He uses all for the good of those who love Him. And He doesn't want me to forget that place He brought me out of. Yesterday was about revisiting that place, and discovering that it truly doesn't hurt anymore. I am stronger than yesterday (thanks, britney spears for the motto) and I'll be stronger still tomorrow. Through His mercy, by His grace. For His glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment