Saturday, July 30, 2011

Runnin'

I just don't think I'll ever consider myself a "runner." It seems like running is the "IN" thing right now. So many people are doing Couch to 5K, lots of people consider a 5K race to be a goal of their fitness plan, people like to post their runs on FB, etc.

In 2009 I had gotten up to running 2-3 miles at a time without stopping. I realized then that running is as much a mind-game as anything and that once you get past about 10 minutes in it feels like you could run forever. I ended up getting a nasty case of plantar fascitis and realized that my feet turn in and it makes it hard for me to find suitable running shoes, etc.

Now that I am getting back in shape, I have been using TurboFire for my cardio pretty much exclusively (besides my swimming workouts). Tonight I decided to try out a run and see how I was feeling. TF has a lot of plyometrics and lateral movement, so I figured my joints might be good to go for a jog.

This is what I did:
Walked 1/3 of a mile
Jogged 5/3 miles/walked on the uphill sections to maintain heartrate in upper aerobic zone
Walked 1/3 of a mile cooldown

30 minutes and I burned 374 calories. I felt pretty good on the jogging portions - I can see a definite improvement over the last time I jogged about 3 weeks ago before TF. My legs/joints felt fine. I probably won't be running uphill anytime soon, though. That would definite push the HR too high at this point.

The only benefit I see to running over swimming (where I burn more calories) is that I can listen to my iPod. I do like the music aspect. However, I am eyeing a waterproof iPod shuffle. . . it's just so expensive!

I can tell I am getting in shape and that proves the worthiness of TurboFire. Highly recommend it because it's FUN, convenient, and it works. Still don't think I'll ever crave running, but at least I know I can do it if I need to.

No comments:

Post a Comment