Friday, August 26, 2011

Old Woman

When my younger sister and I used to share a bedroom as kids, sometimes we would play a game called "old woman." She would be coming out of our bathroom, and her "side" of the bedroom was opposite from the bathroom door. She had to cross through my territory to get there. She would pretend to be an "old woman" and I would help her cross the "street" over to her side.

Weird. I know. My husband has shared with me some of the "games" he played with his sister and thankfully they are equally as odd. Guess it's one of those you-had-to-be-there things.

Today, my sister - the one that I used to boss around and force to play illogical games like this - gave me a great gift. She invited me to join her in the delivery room for the birth of her second child - a daughter. I have never been in a birthing room besides mine when I had my own children. I think she has an inkling of how much today meant to me, just because she knows me like that. I think she knows me so well that she invited me in just because she knew how much it would mean.

I am so thankful for the closeness forged between us in childhood that has now grown into an unbelievable friendship. The blessing of living near each other while raising our children goes beyond what I had ever imagined. She's always had a mind of her own - I've always irritated her in my own special ways - but somehow the bonds of motherhood and marriage and all those years whispering after dark have helped overcome our differences.

Over two years ago I surprised us both when I delivered my daughter naturally with no drugs. Ever since her delivery with her first child, she has talked about doing the next one naturally. Today she did - and her daughter weighed 11 pounds 7 ounces!

Today ranks as one of the best in my life. I am so thankful for the gift of sisterhood+motherhood wrapped up in one person.




No comments:

Post a Comment